Lorain County Printing & Publishing Company is in search of a part-time Human Resources Assistant. This person will be responsible for providing administrative support to the HR Department including performing clerical functions, assisting with benefit administration, recruiting, safety and wellness promotion, and much more. This is a diverse position that will assist with a wide variety of Human Resources job functions.
Department: Human Resources
FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt
Location: The Chronicle – Telegram
Employment Status: Part-Time
Reports to: Human Resources Generalist
Provide administrative support for the Human Resources Department.
- Perform customer service functions by answering employee requests and questions.
- Conduct benefits enrollments/changes for new employees and during the open enrollment period.
- Conduct pre-employment testing process including ordering background checks and drug screens.
- Purchase and distribute fruit baskets to each department at the Chronicle for employee wellness.
- Ensure that breakroom supplies are stocked at the Chronicle.
- Assist HR Department with various department projects.
- Maintain list of employees who drive for company use and report new drivers/terminated drivers to the insurance company.
- Promote, observe, and provide recommendations for various safety and security procedures.
- Order floral arrangements in the event of an employee’s family member passing away.
- Assist HR Department in facilitating employee functions such as holiday parties, retirement parties, employee appreciation days, cookouts, meetings, etc.
- Send correspondence regarding various employee raffles and giveaways and distribute tickets or prizes.
- Ensure that first aid kits are stocked regularly and AED machines are in working order.
- Maintain supply of birthday and anniversary cards and create recognition certificates; mail cards to applicable employees each month after company president has signed them.
- Assist with creation of monthly employee newsletter.
- Facilitate tours of the Chronicle upon request.
- Update and maintain company telephone number list.
- Attend company Safety Committee meetings to record minutes.
- Attend Lorain County Chamber of Commerce Safety Committee meetings to meet BWC participation requirement for the company.
- Occasional travel to other office locations.
- Process applications for employment including: manage job postings, screen applicants, coordinate interviews, retain applications according to record keeping requirements, and prepare correspondence regarding job offers or rejections.
- Assist HR Department with facilitating fire and tornado drills and various safety training.
- Update and maintain SDS binders.
- Conduct orientations for new employees and exit interviews for resigning employees.
- Make photocopies, fax documents and perform other clerical functions.
- Maintain and prepare employee files by filing papers and documents appropriately.
- Prepare correspondence.
- Process mail.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
- Exposure to weather conditions for travel to other office locations and travel to pick up supplies.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 15 pounds when picking up supplies for facilitating employee functions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task.
- General knowledge of various employment laws and practices.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Computer literacy including ability to effectively use Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to exhibit a high level of confidentiality.
- Must be able to gather and analyze information skillfully.
Education, Training, and Experience
- 1-2 years of human resources experience
- Associate Degree in Human Resources preferred.
- Experience in administration of benefits and other HR programs.
Additional Job Requirements
- Valid Ohio driver’s license
- Acceptable driving record
We offer an exciting career opportunity. Success motivated, self-starters may apply by submitting a resume using our online employment application form, via email to [email protected], by mail or within at the following address:
Lorain County Printing & Publishing
Attn: Human Resources – HR Assistant
225 East Ave
Elyria, Ohio 44035